Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Long Way Gone Passage

The sudden outburst of gunfire had caused people to run for their lives in different directions. Fathers had come running from their workplaces, only to stand in front of their empty houses with no indications of where their families had gone. Mothers wept as they ran toward schools, rivers, and water taps to look for their children. Children ran home to look for parents who were wandering the streets in search of them. And as the gunfire intensified, people gave up looking for their loved once and ran out of town (Beah 9).

When I was 9, I was terrified of what was going to happen if the war would break down. I was old enough to read the book about the WWII, and my worst fear was that some kind of war would suddenly begin when I was at school. I was staring at my reflection in the window, completely ignoring what my teacher would have to say about the grammar of Russian language, and I was afraid of even thinking that I could possibly never see my parents again. For me the passage I highlighted represents this fear at its all terror. It represents the mess and panic that people experience when something like that happens. I feel like this passage was written for that 9-year-old boy to show him what it would be like to face his worst fear in real life. It’s sad that so many innocent people still experience such pain. It shouldn’t be that way. It’s just not right…

No comments:

Post a Comment