Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hope Is Our Strength

When I was very little, my father used to say, “If you are alive, there is hope for a better day and something good to happen. If there is nothing good left in the destiny of a person, he or she will die.” I thought about these words during my journey, and they kept me moving even when I didn’t know where I was going. Those words become the vehicle that drove my spirit forward and made it stay alive. (Beah 54).

I guess that I chose this paragraph because I used to hear the similar words from my granny. We were very close; she practically raised me while my parents were busy working weeks after weeks. She used to tell me that hope is usually the last thing to die, and when you lose your hope, you don’t have anything left to live for. It is a driven power that pushes you forward and gives you strength to stay on a course you’ve chosen. This passage has brought a lot of sad memories: unfortunately, hope for a better day didn’t help my grandmother to fight the cancer. But even that hadn’t changed her optimistic attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment